During your next stay at Blue Hill, plan on using our carefully curated plan for a day trip to Bar Harbor. It’s a fun diversion from your relaxing stay with us in Blue Hill. All you need to do is pack your bags, set your email away message, and escape your daily routine while you take in the peaceful tranquility of coastal Maine.
Scenic Road Trip
Make the trip out to Blue Hill Inn the evening beforehand and wake up to a full day of exploring. Or, if you’re eager to get straight into town, head to Bar Harbor first and then return to the comfort of your luxurious room here in Blue Hill after a long day of adventuring. Either way, you will fall in love with our charming and tranquil Inn, located less than an hour from downtown Bar Harbor and only a four-minute walk to the water. Not to mention the gorgeous scenic routes available through the autumn foliage on your way here.
Downtown Bar Harbor
Once you enter town, you’ll want to explore downtown Bar Harbor on foot. Besides the water’s edge and the seafaring vessels, the main attractions will be the fun and unique shops and eateries throughout town. With plenty of streets to meander, you’ll love the retail therapy and delicious refreshments available. If you need some inspiration, take your pick from some of our favorites:
- Cool as a Moose: Gift shop with plenty of souvenirs, including T-shirts and kids’ toys, to take home to family and friends.
- The Rock and Art Shop: This is a family-owned shop with eclectic treasures and oddities, including crystals, fossils, and jewelry. Perfect if you’re looking for something unique!
- Spruce & Gussy: This memorable gift shop has items for all ages, including cards, art, clothing, and kids’ toys. Keep an eye out for holiday sales.
- Happy Clam Shack: If you’re looking for something quick, inexpensive, and delicious, this is the takeout spot—pop by for clam chowder and lobster rolls to die for.
- The Terrace Grille: This is the perfect restaurant if you’re looking for high-quality ambiance and seafood. With tables right on the water, you’ll get the quintessential coastal Maine cuisine experience.
- Side Street Cafe: If you’re looking for a highly-rated favorite, you can’t beat this warm and welcoming American eatery. With classical burgers and fresh lobster dishes, everyone will find something to suit their palate.
Once you’ve had your fill of downtown, take your day trip to the next level with an outdoor adventure. You can’t visit Bar Harbor without checking out at least one lighthouse. Pop over to Bass Harbor Head Light Station, just 30 minutes from downtown Bar Harbor, for a memorable lighthouse experience.
Nestled on the edge of a cliff and surrounded by tall pine trees, the sight of this lighthouse will be one you’ll never forget. Close your eyes and breathe in the sea-salt air, or gaze around at the sights and scenes of the surrounding ocean. This is the perfect spot for a photo opp. If you’re interested in visiting the other lighthouses in the area, check out the Bar Harbor Lighthouse Tour in Acadia National Park. Acadia National Park is also a must-see while you’re in the area. Check out our other blog post for tips on planning the ultimate day trip to Acadia.
Are you ready for your day trip to Bar Harbor? Check availability today and experience the charm and spontaneity of coastal Maine.
Published October 2023